The 'season' at Llandrindod lasted from May to mid September. Outside the pump rooms at the Rock Park and the Pump House Hotel the visitors queued each morning to take the waters, entertained by music from the orchestras.
The amount drunk varied from two to six glasses at a time, depending on the type of ailment, and the charge at both pump rooms was 6d. per day for any amount of water. In 1909 the High Street Baths opened, offering the wide range of electrical treatments which were expected at a modern spa.
The spacious lay-out of the town meant it could cater for the growing popularity of outdoor sports. A private 9-hole golf course was opened on the common by the Pump House Hotel in 1893, possibly the first in Wales. The 18-hole course above the lake opened a club in 1906. Many of the larger hotels had tennis courts and croquet lawns on their grounds and horse races were held on the rock Ddole, a meadow near the river. In the early 1880's Middleton Street consisted of wooden shanties and open air stalls, but it gradually replaced the High Street as the focal point of the town. The most famous shop was probably the Central Wales Emporium, opened in 1881 by William Thomas of Penybont. It sold a large variety of goods, including a range of illustrated guide books and a type of cloth named 'Spa Flannel'. This business closed in 1927, when the spa was in decline.
THE PREMIER SPA IN WALES
The wells at Llandrindod had been resorted
to as early 1696, when the Vaughans of
Herefordshire stayed for three weeks to
take the waters.
A BOOM TOWN!
The Central Wales line from Knighton to
Llandrindod Wells was opened in 1865
putting Llandrindod Wells in easy reach of the
urban centres of the North West, the midlands
and South Wales.